For me, when it comes to a pizza, what makes or break it isn’t the filling….yes it does play a part, but the crucial factor is the crust. It has to be thin, crisp, full of flavour.
I have been doubtful for years when it comes to attempting making my own pizza crust, i just didn’t think I could do it. I mean come on…. I seriously think it is a skill that you need years of practice before you can get it right. Ok i am wrong… the part that requires skill is making the pizza round… . To make a tasty and crisp pizza….all that is needed is a good pizza dough recipe. And I have found it!
1 lh (3 1/2 cup) unbleached bread flour; more as needed
2 tsp granulated sugar (I used raw sugar)
1 1/2 tsp table salt ( I used sea salt)
2 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
3 sprigs of rosemary, leaves only
1 tablespoon garlic
1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil; more as needed
1) Combine flour, sugar, salt, rosemary, garlic, yeast, olive oil in a large mixing bowl.
2) Add 11 fl oz. (1 1/4 cup plus 2 tablesoon) cool water.
3) With a large spoon, mix until the dough comes together together in a course ball.
4) Let the dough rest for 5 minutes, uncovered.
5) Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface . As you knead, add more flour or water as needed to produce a fairly tack but not sticky dough. ( the dough tshould peel off like a post-it note, leaving only a slight residue)
6) It may stick slightly to the bottom of the mixing bowl but not to the sides.
7) Lightly oil a bowl that is twice the size of the gouh.
8) Roll the dough in the bowl to coat it with oil, cover the top of the bowl tightly for at least 8 hours or up to 3 days.
9) It will rise slowly in the refigerator but will stop growing once completely chilled.
10) If the plastic bulges, release the carbon dioxide buildiup by lifting one edge of the plastic wrap. (like burpingit) and then reseal.
11) When ready to use, thaw completely till it reaches room temperature.
12) Stratch the dough (divide it to four) out towards the end of a pizza pan. Leaving a thicker edge.
13) Start laying on your favourite pizza sauce and filling
Kneading the dough
The dough is almost at the right consistancy
Laying the dough in a greased bowl when done
The same dough exploded in the fridge when left to proof overnight
Dividing them into individual pizza portions